Ventura County Sheriffs Office provides a Law Enforcement Explorer program to educate and involve the youth of the community in police operations and interest them in law enforcement functions whether they aspire to enter police work or not. The Explorer program establishes an awareness of the complexities of police services and broadens an Explorer's firsthand knowledge of the challenges and job skills that make up our communities' police services.
What is Exploring?
Law Enforcement Exploring is an exciting way for young men and women to explore the dynamic field of law enforcement. As an Explorer, you will have the opportunity to participate in:
- Patrol Ride-Alongs
- Law Enforcement Explorer Competitions
- Station Operations
Community Service – which can count towards school credit And Much More!
Will I Receive Training?
As a Law Enforcement Explorer, you will attend a three-week, 120-hour academy designed exclusively for Law Enforcement Explorers. The academy is held at the Ventura County Police and Sheriff's Reserve Academy in Camarillo. The course is usually scheduled during the summer. You will be permitted to fully participate in the Explorer program until the academy is available.
At the discretion and direction of the advisors and sworn deputies, the intent of the Exploring Program is to:
- Further each Explorer's education
- Encourage the Explorer's participation in a rewarding and productive service activity
- Enhance the Explorer's preparation for the future role as a citizen and community memberAllow the Explorer to observe first hand the field activities of the Sheriff's Office
- Encourage the Explorer to give of themselves to the community
- Provide the Law Enforcement community an opportunity to further an investment in its own future through positive relationships with fit and capable young adults
- 14 to 21 years old and completed the 8th grade
- Completion of the Explorer Application
- Pass a rigid background examination
- Maintain a 2.0 grade point average
- No criminal history
- No alcohol or drug use
- Good driving record (if applicable)
- Attend scheduled meetings
- Participate in organized details and fundraisers
- Have fun and learn!